Sunday, 24 Jun 2018, 12:30 PM
Welcome Guest

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Grymm, RYU, AEON  
SDSU Brawlers » General » Events » Possible "Revenger" Tournament (Prize Tourney for Brawl during summer break)
Possible "Revenger" Tournament
sirkibble2Date: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 1:34 PM | Message # 16
Mid-Tier
Group: Users
I'm asking this because I'm trying to understand your rules because I don't want to participate in a tourney with rules that don't make sense.

1). If someone kept using a right jab on someone in boxing and it was working, no one would be like "oh snaps! he's spamming his jab!" They would say "Oh dang! That dudes foolish! He won't block the jab!" So why would spamming be bad here?

2). I can see how chain-grabbing can be obnoxious but isn't it the player's fault for getting caught in it? If you know Falco can chain-grab from 0-~50% why would a person allow themselves to get caught in it. Is this rule to encourage close combat?

3). These "death sentence" moves... Like everyone said, they're very punishable. What's the point of limiting use of them? If the player gets hit by it, whose fault is that? If I got randomly smacked by Falcon's knee or Zelda's bair, then that's my fault. What's the point of limiting this move?

MAFIADate: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 7:55 PM | Message # 17
Brawler
Quote (sirkibble2)
1). If someone kept using a right jab on someone in boxing and it was working, no one would be like "oh snaps! he's spamming his jab!" They would say "Oh dang! That dudes foolish! He won't block the jab!" So why would spamming be bad here?

2). I can see how chain-grabbing can be obnoxious but isn't it the player's fault for getting caught in it? If you know Falco can chain-grab from 0-~50% why would a person allow themselves to get caught in it. Is this rule to encourage close combat?

You don't get it, do you? Boxing is not the same as "brawling." In boxing, a fighter has no choice but to use their two hands and fight with them. In Brawl, someone can just use the same move over and over again and it gets old. I'm still working on this s*** but I do not want someone spamming their best distance or aerial move to get a win (even if the move gets stale).

In regards to chain-grabbing, I DON'T GIVE A CRAP if it's considered a legit strategy. IT IS A CHEAP WAY OF GETTING A CHARACTER AT 60% OR HIGHER TO GET A KILL AND STEAL A WIN. Any noob can chain-grab a veteran player and consider themselves as good or "pro-grade" but when playing a real tourney that doesn't allow chain-grabbing, that player would quit at the first warning for doing it.

Towards "death sentence" moves: just don't spam them. That's all I'm asking in this. If a player sees an opportunity to do, take that shot but don't do it all the time. I understand that these moves takes a perfect shot and moment to execute it so I understand that there's no need to limit them but it would look good as a finishing move.

FripplegitDate: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 9:20 PM | Message # 18
Spammer
Any noob can chain-grab a veteran player

Chain Grabbing requires precision, timing, and knowledge of the opponents character weight type in order to preform the chain grab. Highly doubtful a noob would be able to successfully chain grab a veteran player...

Any veteran player can chain-grab a noob

Fix'd

someone can just use the same move over and over again and it gets old.

If spamming the same move works then why not keep using it? If the opponent can not figure out how to get around being spammed at then deserve to lose.

playing a real tourney

"Real" tourneys recognize chain grabbing as a legitimate move.

Towards "death sentence" moves: just don't spam them. That's all I'm asking in this. If a player sees an opportunity to do, take that shot but don't do it all the time. I understand that these moves takes a perfect shot and moment to execute it so I understand that there's no need to limit them but it would look good as a finishing move.

Highly doubt people are just gonna spam death sentence moves in a 1v1 match

These "death sentence" moves... Like everyone said, they're very punishable.

MAFIADate: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 9:40 PM | Message # 19
Brawler
Quote (Fripplegit)
"Real" tourneys recognize chain grabbing as a legitimate move.

I DON'T GIVE A S****. My title belt is not made for chain-grabbers, it's about being the more ruthless fighter. If I want to make a championship for chain-grabbers, it would be made of Italian leather belt strap, 24k gold plates, strap buttons studded with real diamonds, and the writing on the belt would be "SDSU BRAWL CHAIN-GRABBER CHAMPION" with the person's real name on it.

Quote (Fripplegit)
Chain Grabbing requires precision, timing, and knowledge of the opponents character weight type in order to preform the chain grab. Highly doubtful a noob would be able to successfully chain grab a veteran player...

ARE YOU CRAZY OR ARE YOU HIGH? Any idiot can chain-grab.

With your post, I made my decision.

Chain-grabbing: out of the question. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN AT THIS TOURNEY.

Spamming aerial moves: going up- may not happen and sideways- legit.

FripplegitDate: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 10:01 PM | Message # 20
Spammer
My title belt is not made for chain-grabbers, it's about being the more ruthless fighter.

being the more ruthless fighter

ruthless fighter

ruthless

I think somewhere down the line you hit yourself with the contradiction bat. You DONT want people to spam, chain grab, edge hog, or use "Death Sentence" moves (Lol?) and yet you want people to be ruthless?

it would be made of Italian leather belt strap, 24k gold plates, strap buttons studded with real diamonds...

What is this I don't even...

Any idiot can chain-grab.

This idiot can't

Spamming aerial moves: going up- may not happen and sideways- legit.

Please clarify more

RYUDate: Tuesday, 04 May 2010, 10:19 PM | Message # 21
Top-tier
Group: Moderators
well.. i guess my pikachu is out of the question for this tournament.
and i figure falcos will also have a hard time with this + pro snakes (cuz they spam grenades and mines) + metaknights (every one of his moves is spammable)

to go down the list of characters who have a chain grab:
Pikachu
Falco
King DeDeDe
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Peach
Marth
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Wario
... there are probably more... but I cant think at the moment

Characters that LIKE to SPAM:
Metaknight
Snake
Pikachu
Falco/Fox/Wolf
Ice Climbers (desyncing spam ftw)
ANM's IKE - Forward Air LOL
...this list can probably be for every character because certain moves are just that damn good.

This tournament takes alot of people out of their comfort zone.
You should read the tournament structure they post on smashboards or allisbrawl cuz they know what they are talking about =)

sirkibble2Date: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 0:34 AM | Message # 22
Mid-Tier
Quote (MAFIA)
You don't get it, do you? Boxing is not the same as "brawling."

And you must understand that Brawling is not the same as Boxing. One, you only use your hands. The other, you can do whatever the heck you want. And that includes kicking people while they're down.

I asked you those questions because I wanted to know your reasoning for your rules and so far, your reasoning is based off of the concocted ruleset you've made up in your head about how Brawl should be played. I'm not saying that as a slam against you, I'm just saying that as an observation.

Personally, I don't like the rules, not because they take me out of my comfort zone, but because the rules limit strategies. If you had a tournament that had all items, a all Mushroom Kingdom tournament, a no MK tournament, even a team attack off tournament, I'd be down for it because strategies aren't limited. However, natural character strategies and moves are limited, exploitation of idiocy and punishable moves are limited, and therefore, red flags are raised.

I don't mind your rules if they actually have legit reasoning but I'm not seeing it. Help me see it because in any real fight, organized or not, I'm doing what works, as much as I want and as often as I want and I'm going to use my most powerful punches if the person is going to fall for them. Period.

RYUDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 2:28 PM | Message # 23
Top-tier
'Nuff Said.

AEONDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 4:11 PM | Message # 24
3-Stocker
Group: Administrators
Let me just input my own opinion good sir mafia,

About spamming:
If you were being sexually assaulted by an obese african american, who was plundering around the area in which you defecate. You can't just say stop spamming your forward smash because technically you left your defenses open, and it becomes a free invitation. Because of the hit stun from a forward smash you can’t use all the moves in your arse-inal the only excuse to get out of the rhythmic pattern would be to use a move that can counter such an attack. This kind of attack might be cheap but it is a legitimate why to fight back the attacker.

GrymmDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 4:46 PM | Message # 25
Administrator
To my dear sweet child of mine:

After further investigation I came across a plethora of scholarly research articles and have concluded that chain grabbing is the same thing as grabbing chains.

As my opponent stated, children around the world are suffering from reverse rehabilitation, simply put, the ability to render illogical fallacies have been corrupted by the demon souls who slayed dragons which in turn progressed the domination of chain grabbing.

Let me put it this way. In terms of chain grabbing, as it were, is, and always will be (so to speak), you can’t compare apples to oranges. \

MAFIADate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 5:26 PM | Message # 26
Brawler
Everything you guys posted and directed to me is a low blow

AEONDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 5:49 PM | Message # 27
3-Stocker
yeh,
definitly a "low blow" surprised

MAFIADate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 6:11 PM | Message # 28
Brawler
I got a website from Aeon for official brawl tourney rules. the site is

http://pro-circuit.mlgpro.com/pro-circuit/2010/orlando/super-smash-bros-brawl-1v1/rules-settings

it will be done by these rules but chaingrabs from any character is illegal

RYUDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 7:29 PM | Message # 29
Top-tier
alright...if you guys are done making fun of each other... the serious matters have been dealt with.
rules changed.
I still think it is stupid to ban cg's (perhaps the players get the option of banning it if they want)

Im closing this thread.

EclipseDate: Wednesday, 05 May 2010, 9:15 PM | Message # 30
Low-tier
Quote (sirkibble2)
If you had a tournament that had all items, a all Mushroom Kingdom tournament, a no MK tournament, even a team attack off tournament, I'd be down for it because strategies aren't limited

Do want. someone plz host something like this with all those rules combined lol.

SDSU Brawlers » General » Events » Possible "Revenger" Tournament (Prize Tourney for Brawl during summer break)
Search: